Sunday, July 25, 2010

updateee

This week has been really busy.  The donor who paid for the New Life Centre to open is coming tomorrow to see how things are going.  I'm working on making a video of all the staff and girls etc.  I love video editing but I don't have the software I like and it has taken ages to compile.  On top of that we're still cranking out work on the scholarships!

So here's an update:

The woman who went into labor last week is STILL waiting.  The pains have been on and off and since she lost a lot of fluid they want her to remain in the hospital.  She's going a bit stir crazy, says if it doesn't come by the end of the week she's running away!  She doesn't speak any English so one of the other girls translates for me.  When I leave I always say to her stomach in Acholi, "Baby, come here today!"  Hasn't worked yet but I'll keep trying.

We have 41 girls who are set to start primary, secondary or vocational schools!  I'm extremely happy with how well things have gone.  I never expected my tiny "these girls should be able to go back to school" to work like this, way to go God.  I'm also working on writing up stories about them to send to all those who supported this.  I'll mail them out once I get home!

In other news, one of our kids fell and split his forehead open today :-/

Speaking of kids, I absolutely love all of the kids at the Centre, I would stay here just for them.  I'm pretty sure you may have gathered that from past posts but I'm not sure if you know how much I enjoy them.



So during the day I think of all these things I want to post about and then I sit down to write this and I have nothing.  


Oh funny story, two of my friends were laughing about how short my basketball shorts are that I wear to bed here (I was hanging my laundry).  I explained that they are actually long shorts compared to most.  They were astonished that we wear something that exposing, that we "don't respect our bodies."

I then made mention of the fact that we would never step outside of our bedroom without a shirt on.  (In the villages women can sit outside of their house without a shirt and there are moms breastfeeding everywhere you go.)  I was reminded of our Africa introduction session before I came here last time when they said "knees are the boobs of Africa."

They laughed so hard by the fact that we consider a woman's chest to be private, that even if breastfeeding women use a blanket or something to cover.  I don't think I've ever seen them laugh so hard.  Ohh culture, you're a funny thing.

1 comment: