Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stories from the Bush

Today was pretty intense.  I've been working on this video for the Centre and decided to interview two of the girls about their experience when they were abducted.  I was expecting for them to be timid in discussing it, especially with the camera around.  But they talked without pausing for well over a half an hour each.

The first video of a girl named Coline starts out with "When I was abducted they forced me to lie with my Uncle's son as husband and wife in a field of sweet potatoes.  After that I was given to a very old man.  When I complained to the elders, they dug a deep hole and put me in it.  When that punishment was over they caned me."

I have no idea what they said during most of it (I'll have the rest translated tomorrow) but with the little I know of the Acholi language I could decipher some of it.  One of the girls used hand motions that universally mean somebody's head was being cut off.  She used this reference on multiple occasions.

They both kept a completely strait face the whole time.  Didn't show any weakness.  It wasn't until later in the afternoon, when the cameras were off, that I saw Coline crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment