Saturday, July 17, 2010

My name shall be _________ today.

I have mastered the fine art of responding to any western name that people yell to me when I'm walking down the road.  There aren't very many white people in Kitgum and many people tend to think we're all related.  Even my boda driver always tells me about how he saw my sister somewhere in town.  And people are convinced that the two other Americans and I at Food for the Hungry must be sisters.

Anyhow, I walk down the road and I hear kids and/or adults yell various names (besides the typical "Munu!").  "Erica! Erica!"  "Monica! Monica!"  "Chelsea! Chelsea!"  Since it's harder to explain (especially to kids) that I am not in fact the white person they know, I wave and ask them how they are.

On another note, all the kids at the Centre have stopped calling me Munu and now call me Meg.  It's fun to walk   around and hear little voices yelling my name.  I want to bring all them all home.

No comments:

Post a Comment