Monday, July 12, 2010

Bombs

So as much as the news about Uganda is all over the news at home, things in my part of the country are pretty normal.  Since there are few TVs, newspapers are uncommon and internet is even more rare, many are just hearing about the bombs in Kampala.  I was actually the one who informed many of the staff here this morning.

I've been to the Ethiopian Village restaurant, it's just down the road from our Uganda office and the home that I lived in when I studied here - maybe a 3 minute walk.  We used to watch football matches right across the street at a place that actually did pat you down briefly before entering.  The other bomb site is on the other side of town but I've been to the area for shopping and watching Phil's Frisbee tournament.  All the FH staff has been accounted for.

Some local staff from the UN were in our office this morning, they said that they have been aware that Somalia was a threat, they had previously threated the head offices of the UN and the World Food Program in Kampala for trying to bring peace to Somalia.  Uganda was targeted because they have peacekeeping troops in Somalia.

Also, interestingly the US embassy emailed me last week confirming my whereabouts in the country.  The email said they were just confirming that US citizens were within the region that they registered with the embassy to be in.  I have no evidence but I'm wondering if they had an inkling that something could happen.

Don't worry about my safety too much, no terrorists would hit the north.  It's too rural here and unconnected to the central government for the Somalis to try to make a point.  However, I don't think I'll be taking a trip to Kampala in the next few weeks for the peace of mind of my parents.

Also, one of the people injured was from my University - I don't know him but apparently is is going to be alright but has leg injuries.  So you can pray for him but also be praying for the families of those killed.  These people were completely innocent, they did nothing wrong except attend the biggest football match of the year.

Thanks for all the emails and concern,
Me

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing such a good job of keeping all of us who care about you informed. And thanks (really) for the phone call just after midnight last night to touch base. I slept better after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am late in hearing about the bombing and went right to your blog. Thanks for the info. You know your family worries. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete