Sunday, June 20, 2010

Reality

I had one of those moments today when you realize that you're alive.  Like when you're looking in the mirror and suddenly realize that you are there, brings you back to reality.  Today was one of those days.

I was kicking around a soccer ball with some of the girls from the Centre when I realized where I was.  Here I am in Northern Uganda kicking around a soccer ball with a woman who is HIV+, another who spent 11 years living in abduction and another who is a child mother/rape victim.

A little later I wandered into the kitchen and started talking to the one of the girls, Colline, who was cooking.  She asked me to take a picture of her.  I said I would.  She then slightly lifted up her skirt to show me the back of her thigh where she was hit by part of a bomb while she was abducted.  She's basically missing all of the back of her thigh to the bone.  What she wanted was for me to take a picture of it so that she could see what it looks like from behind.  I only had my video camera so I filmed a couple seconds of it and showed it to her.

She just watched and turned back to cooking.  She then asked to see it again.  She said that this was the first time that she's actually seen it and put her hand on her head and asked if that really was her leg.  I asked her what she thought about it and she said that she didn't have anything to say yet.


Reality.
.

1 comment:

  1. This is a healthy reminder of just how insignificant my worries and so-called needs are.

    ReplyDelete