Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Alumni Success

As I was visiting some schools in the community I had the chance to see some of the girls that were at the Centre last time I was here.  They had no idea I was back so when they saw me they dropped their things and ran to me in surprise.  One girl, Beatrice, took me to the market where she has started a small business with the knowledge and startup money that she got from the Centre.  She has also started at the tailoring school in her village.  In the morning she sells small fish and these pastry like things called mandazzi and then in the afternoon she goes to the school.  In the small market we ran into about 6 girls who had been in the Centre at various times in the past.


This is Beatrice at her stand in the market place.
This is the reason that the Centre exists, these girls used to sit at home or dig in fields for very little money but they are now beginning to be entrepreneurs.  Their lifeless eyes are gone and they are now happy and proud of what they've become.

These are all the Centre alumni that we found in the market.

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I'm so happy for you Meg! Hopefully, your program will be able to contribute to these types of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - it is simply awesome to see such positive results from the program. Meg you must be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Meg. You should be very proud of the positive impact you have had on the lives of these young ladies. What a wonderful surprise for you and the girls to see one another again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Meg. It must be so exciting to see the end result at the same time you see the beginning. Love, Mrs McG

    ReplyDelete