Sunday, November 8, 2009

So I'm fairly certain that you've been able to tell that I was thoroughly moved by my time in Kitgum.  While I was there I noticed that a lot of the girls want to return to school but financially can't afford it.   Vocational school costs something like 120-150 dollars a year and they only need to go for one or two years to be able to work in that field and support their family.  However, $120 is completely unheard of for them.

I came under this huge conviction.  It is in my capacity to completely change their lives.  To turn a woman who has to labor in the field for a dollar a day into a woman who can tailor or who is educated in another area and who can support herself and her family adequately.

So I spoke with some of the directors in FH and they seemed excited that I was interested in sponsoring two girls (Lilly and Josephine) to go back to school.  In fact, they've been wanting to do something like this at the New Life Center but hadn't started anything yet.  So I'm in the midst of making a proposal that would allow people to sponsor a specific girl to go to vocational school for two years.  The sponsor will hopefully also be able to send money for their kids school uniforms and materials (about 5-10 dollars) or anything else that they want to help with as well as the school tuition.

I hate asking for money from people.  So this is me not asking for money.  But this is me saying that if you feel motivated (I know some people have already asked my mom about this) then by the end of my time here I will know exactly how/if this will work.  Please let me know now (meganclapp@gmail.com) if you are even the slightest bit interested.  I can give you pictures, names, stories, anything that might help you pick someone to invest in.  Both financially and through prayer and communication.

I'm assuming that a sponsor will give anywhere between $150 a year ($12.50 a month) to $200+ a year.  Or any amount that they would want.  Some girls just need someone to help buy some new clothing or other items that could be a one time donation.


But by not going out to dinner one time a month, you can put a young woman through schooling that will change her and her kid's lives forever.

Again, this is not a plea for money.  But if this encourages you, look out for more updates and as I gather more information I will let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Oops I posted my desire to help on the wrong entry I try to live in the 21st century but I think I'm halfway through the 18th century when it comes to technology. Anyway I'd love to help sponsot the girls

    ReplyDelete