Friday, August 21, 2009

Day one of traveling

Traveling is a funny thing. First you say goodbye to family, and it's not like you're always both going somewhere different and exciting. I almost felt like I was leaving my family behind this morning, knowing that life will go on in Pittsburgh whether I'm there or not. But after that you get into the airport, which is fascinating because every single person that you see is flying somewhere for some purpose that is individual and personal they have some kind of goal. Every person booked their ticket, packed their bags, got to the airport on time and has something on their mind. You can make your best guesses but you never know who is going where and for what reason. Then you get into the air and even on the airplane only some people are trying to get to it's destination. Many are just passing through to get someplace else. I always wonder how many people are going home, how many are dreading where they are going, how many are afraid of flying, etc. So then you're in the air and you fly across the country, it seems like each time I look out the window I see houses or roads or some sign of civilization. Which is funny because I always assume that people live in clusters but as you fly you realize the vast expanse of land that people have spread out over.

Anyway, sorry for that random explosion of flight philosophy. Today's flights consist of flying from Pittsburgh to Houston (on which I found out that the couple next to me is traveling to Guatemala to preform joint replacements... they plan on doing about 70 replacements in the next 10 days, how cool). From Houston (where I am right now) I am flying to Phoenix where I will meet up with everyone else from the program. Obviously I'm a bit uneasy about meeting all new people of whom I will be spending the next couple months with. I keep thinking I won't fit in or something and I have to keep reminding myself that I've felt that way every time I've going somewhere new whether it's summer camp, school, treatment centers etc but it all works out in the first couple weeks and I forget it was ever any different. Soo I am sure (or at least hoping) that this will be the same.

So yeah, I meet the other students today and then tomorrow evening we fly from Pheonix to London to Entebbe, Uganda (somewhere along the way Sunday will happen, I leave Pheonix on Saturday and arrive in Entebbe on Monday morning which is funny). It seems so soon but I would love to just skip to the next few days and make it Monday so I can just get there! The suspense is killing me!!

I read this verse last night and I hope to keep it in the front of my mind throughout my trip...

"From everyone who has been given much,
much will be demanded;
and from the one who has been entrusted with much,
much more will be asked."
- Luke 12:48

I have been blessed with much, and I can't just sit anymore thanking God for the things and people in my life... I now get to go out in the world and do whatever the world demands of me. I'm pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment