Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

I probably wrote about this last year around Halloween but I'm saying it again.  When you experience a holiday in another country you realize that it really is just another day.  There is no red, white and blue, no parties, no days off of work, nothing.  Even the new Americans here haven't said anything about it, I would have forgotten completely if it wasn't for the internet.

On the topic of my homeland, I'm beginning to realize that my cynicism about America is just not helpful for me or anybody else.  Yes, many parts of the work hate us, and no, I don't completely blame them in some/many cases.  But where I am is just out of a crisis and the US has put in effort to help out.  I think I need to take a picture of the "Hospital funded by USAID - help from the people of the United States" so whenever I want to strangle our government I will relax a bit because that hospital has saved the lives of many of my friends.

I also appreciate the equality among people that we have in America.  The fact that kids are taught growing up that they are worth something (even if that makes them overly proud in many cases).  Many girls from the villages, especially ones who returned from the war, think they are worthless in comparison to people in the town or people with any kind of power.  The respect that they give them is fine, I won't argue about courtesying or anything, but it's after the initial respect, the fact that they remain on their knees, head bowed, that they talk quietly or not at all to educated people, that they won't ask for what they need and they won't trouble anyone higher than them for anything that gets to my heart.

If I meet a doctor, a university student or a teacher I will give them a firm handshake and look them straight in the eye.  I know that despite their certificates, education, whatever, that I am on their same level.  But it's very structured here to where one stands.

Other things about America that I am thankful for today:

- Roads.  I appreciate the fact that I pay taxes and that the government uses that money to build me roads that I won't ever appreciate.

- Checks and balances.  I want to thank whoever crafted this idea, there is so much corruption among the central government that the people really suffer.  While we have corruption and scandals, I'm thankful that we generally punish those involved.

- Smoothies.  I could really go for one right now.  Or a grande light java chip frappachino, no whip.  I've been having fantasies about them.

- Minimum wage and strict child labor laws.

- Vaccinations.


- Police.  Being able to call them and not having to pay their bribes to come and help you.


- Recycling.  My soul throws up a little everyday when I have to throw 4 plastic bottles into the fire pit.  Sorry Ozone.

- Unlimited calls.  This buying airtime every couple days and paying by the second business is rough.

- Ice.


Don't get me wrong, I could write a book about things that I love about Uganda more than America, but today isn't about being cynical.  Thank you America for the things that you get right.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like living in another country to make you appreciate your own! No place is ever perfect, but that is what motivates us. Mrs McG

    ReplyDelete