Monday, August 31, 2009

Church and Classes

Sundays in Rwanda. Busy. All morning our "paid friends" came at various times to pick up whoever they were with the night before and to take us to their church. I went with my "assistent," Ives, to a Christian Life Assembly church. The church service seemed rather Western, if I closed my eyes I could have easily tricked myself into thinking I was in an American church. However, there was an absolutely adorable little girl behind me that kept me entertained for the 2+ hour service.

That's another thing that's funny. It seems that Rwandans do not care at all about how long church is, in my experience people are constantly checking their watches and the minute that pastor (or priest) exceeds his hour they get upset. But here church can last all day and people love every second of it!

Anyhow that night I went with my other paid friend, Paul, to his church. Okay, I have never seen a place erupt like that building. Rwandans apparently like to jump when praising God, and dance and yell and do whatever. I LOVED IT and I think next week more go ed students will join us!

Enough about churches, we started class today! The first class is about peacekeeping and the Rwandan Genocide. It's taught by an amazing Rwandan man who has dedicated his life to helping women learn tasks like sewing and learning english. However, he does not teach like the normal science professors I'm used to. He does not get right down to the point and I'm not sure how to handle that!

The other class is about community development and it is taught by an American who has spent a majority of his life around Africa.

All of a sudden I have a TON of readings! What happened to the African vacation I was on??


Fact: 61% of Rwandans live on less than a dollar a day. I almost couldn't believe this, where I am in Kigali does NOT reflect this but we've only been here a few days and we will broaden our horizons and see more of this poverty as the weeks progress.

3 comments:

  1. I remember an African priest we had a while back say that often church services in Africa can go on for hours. That's why their sermons were always sooooo long!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey...i've been keeping up with your posts and i LOVE them =)
    the part about not getting to the point right away in the peacekeeping class--reminds me of FYS and neverending conversations that go in circles =)
    maybe this is completely different but jsut a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you actually have to take classes! But I am glad to hear you are doing great. We are proud of you

    ReplyDelete